Warning!This post is in our archives. Links in this post have been updated to point to similar bikes available to bid on eBay.
Ducati SportClassics were made from 2006-2010, and with their cafe-racer looks, were very popular with customizers. The dual-spark 992cc engine was fuel injected, and its reliability lent itself more to breathing upgrades than internal work. This example has had intake and exhaust work and some well-executed cosmetic upgrades.
Designer Pierre Terblanche got started with the wild-retro MH900E, and completed the thought with the SportClassic line. Pretty good power from the air-cooled desmodue at 92hp, with stable handling and moderate weight. Dual shocks and dry clutch make reference to the good old days. Bars are apparently clip-ons, but have risers and some adjustment to ease the pain. The seat is the best of both worlds, a dual seat with color coordinated cafe cover.
No word on how many owners, but this Sport has been treated well and shows just one spot of clearcoat failure for its 7,500 miles. The current owner is an Arrow fan and put on 2-into-1 exhaust and had it altered to work with the passenger pegs. Velocity stacks and ECU reprogramming complete the respiratory therapy.
Not often seen at this level are the fender-ectomy and SpeedyMoto open cam belts ( with guards ). Can’t say the license plate mount is my taste but there a lot of nice smaller upgrades. From the eBay auction:
• Pazzo adjustable brake and clutch levers
• Kuan steering damper mount with Ohlins damper
• Rear fender removed
• Taillight flipped and mounted under the seat pan (turn signals reversed to accommodate flip)
• Custom license plate mount with factory license plate light
• STM clutch slave
• Custom Arrow 2 1 stainless steel race full exhaust (not a slip on) I fell in love with Arrow exhaust when I put a system on my Monster. The sound is second to none and this exhaust does not disappoint. The reason it is custom is that Arrow never made a system to fit a biposto bike; it was only intended to fit the 2006 mono. I purchased one and worked with a local exhaust shop to modify it just enough so that it would clear the brake pedal and rear set.
• Speedy Moto frame sliders
• Speedy Moto Leggero belt pulley covers
• Corse Dynamics high performance intake system (includes velocity stacks, air filters, crankcase breather, etc.)
• MW Tuning / REXXER ecu reflash to accommodate intake and exhaust mods. O2 sensor delete.
• Billet high capacity ECU heat sink
• Corse Dynamics magnetic oil drain plug
• Lane splitter style round barend rear view mirror
• RAM Mount triple clamp mounted ball for accessory mounts (phone/gps/etc.)
Light on the miles and looking great, this SportClassic has a steep buy-it-now but the right equipment and up-to-date maintenance. The Make Offer button is there if this classic red machine speaks to you. As the wintry mix fades this might be a good opportunity…