Some models were short-lived as FIM updated engine rules regularly in the late 1990’s, and the 996S followed in the 916’s able footsteps, with upgraded wheels and Öhlins forks and shock. Rarely surfacing in such pleasant nick, today’s 996S boasts current maintenance and extraordinary cosmetics.
Designers kept the lightweight trellis chassis from the 916, and increased the bore of the L-twin resulting in 11.5-to-1 compression and 123 hp. Components were mostly similar, though a few years newer and the -S had better, with some carbon details and the rear wheel attracting 5-1/2 inches of attention. Bodywork was lightly updated, somehow angular and slippery and of course red.
Wheeled out on a rosy Ohio afternoon, this 996S exudes cleanliness and has a minimum of outward mods. Most are performance or longevity focused, like the starter and clutch upgrades, with the upsized sprocket making life around town easier. Recurring belts and tires happened just a couple of years ago. Plenty of info in the eBay auction –
– Termignoni exhaust system with engine management program
– Pirelli Diablo tires, 2020
– Yoyodyne hydraulic clutch
– Carbon fiber open clutch cover
– Alcantara seat (stock seat included)
– Adjustable knurled Rearsets
– SuperSprox 525 X-Sealed Chain
– SuperSprox Stealth 40T rear sprocket
– SuperSprox countershaft sprocket 15T
– Hyperflex polyurethane cush drives
– New sealed battery, 2022
– Motolectric starter upgrade kit
– New voltage regulator/rectifier
– Barnett kevlar clutch kit, 2021
– Stock rear plate holder and turn signals included – New timing belts installed and all fluids and filters replaced August 2020 As you can see, the bike is very clean. She runs and rides perfectly. The Tricolore version of the 996S is a very rare find. If you desire an exclusive bike of Massimo Tamburini’s design, you’ve just found it. I can deliver if buyer lives in Ohio, parts of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, West Virginia.
The 996 might have won more WSBK titles if it hadn’t walked into the RC51’s day in the sun, but was superceded by the testastretta 998 after just a few years. Even without the numbered dash plaque, the tricolore accents on the 996S makes it a recognizable special. This previous owner seems to have done all the good things, right down to riding the 996S a fair bit.