Update 11.14.2017: Bike has SOLD! Congratulations to buyer and seller! -dc
While a Yamaha YZF-R1 might not seem quite as exotic as the race-prepped Ducati Superleggera we featured earlier this week at first glance, the specification for this genuine YZF-R1 Factory British Superbike will certainly catch your attention on closer inspection. It's even got a bit of celebrity history thrown in as an added bonus, as it was ridden by none other than former MotoGP rider John Hopkins!
Yamaha's R1 is probably most famous for its "cross-plane" crankshaft configuration that gives it a distinctive sound. Cross-plane cranks are common in car engines but weren't seen in inline four motorcycle engines prior to the R1. Yamaha's MotoGP development team found that V4-powered machines had better acceleration out of corners and built test engines with 90° cross-plane crank throws instead of the usual flat-plane set up. The results were conclusive, and Yamaha's subsequent MotoGP bikes have all used cross-plane cranks.
In a road bike, the advantage for Yamaha is mostly marketing: a bike with a cross-plane crank doesn't make any more power than one with a flat-plane crank, but that unmistakable exhaust note makes the R1 one of the best sounding roadbikes outside an Aprilia RSV4, a bike powered by an actual V4. Of course, this isn't a roadbike we're talking about in this case...
I try to avoid simple listicles in these posts, where the seller brags about all the bolt-on farkles [and their prices] included with the machine in question, but it seems very appropriate in this case! This package basically includes a fully-prepped, fully-developed superbike with a fresh engine and spares to keep it running.
From the Seller: 2016 Yamaha YZF-R1 Factory Superbike for Sale
Yamaha YZF-R1 Machine - This bike was a factory Yamaha YZF-R1 Superbike that competed in the British Superbike Series. The bike was raced by former factory MotoGP rider John Hopkins. It was purchased fully refreshed for the 2016 season directly from the team owner. Included with the sale is data from both Milwaukee Yamaha and Tommy Hill Motorsports. This is the closest thing to a current-spec World Superbike a mortal can expect to own. This bike can win races at any level and is covered in factory race parts that are pure unobtanium.
Motorcycle is 100% fresh and needs absolutely nothing.
Since our acquisition, Motec M1 ECU has been upgraded to World Superbike specification, to enable full rider aids, auto blipping and auto-tuning. This includes the ability for sector by sector mapping and rider aids. We added an E-Lean 6-axis lean angle sensor for superior accuracy in rider aids. We added in a 39N 5 button pod, that controls traction control, engine braking, etc and has a factory-spec connector. Suspension has been updated to current factory spec and fully refreshed. We replaced the exhaust with a Yoshimura kit exhaust that performed better in the midrange. We also updated rearsets and hand controls to Evol Technology. We updated secondary case covers to 39N CNC units for superior protection and ground clearance. Lacomoto matte carbon frame and swingarm protectors have been added. Originals are available.
This bike was less than a 10th of a second from winning the last 2 races it was in and holds multiple lap records.
- Brand new frame fitted, Brand new bearings fitted, New complete engine re-fresh only 3 hours on engine.
- Factory Ohlins RSP40 Rear shock
- FGR 301 Fork with Factory Ohlins valving kit plus shims
- Factory Yamaha Swingarm Including adjusters and bolt adjuster.
- Full Official Yamaha factory racing 2D Loom with carbon fibre box kit
- Motec ECU M173 (updated to M1 Superbike-spec)
- MB Motorsports WSBK Oil Cooler and Radiator
- Yamaha factory racing parts as follows:
- Subframe - Billet Gilles
- Carbon fibre rear subframe box
- All carbon 2D Factory Data/Junction boxes (Front, Main, ECU, Side, Side 2.)
- All 2D Yamaha racing wiring Loom
- Fuel Mapping originally from Yamaha Factory included
- YEC Kit cams latest spec, Factory Funnels for variable stacks
- Head work, porting. YEC Pistons rings, YEC Valve springs, Rods
- Factory Oil Pan Spacer for increased capacity
- MWR Factory filter
- Top and bottom yokes and stem Yamaha Racing
- Spindles all by Yamaha Racing
- Front carbon fiber dash mount and factory air scoop
- OZ Piega R Kit Wheels front and rear
- Brembo Kit disks front and rear
- 2D Speed sensors front and rear
- 2D Suspension potentiometers front and rear
- Hel quick release brake line kits worth hundreds of pounds
- Race fuel tanks same as original Yamaha racing tanks - 20-22 litres max
- Steering damper mounts Yamaha factory
- Steering damper Ohlins
- Renthal clutch lever
- Brembo MotoGP front master cylinder
- Titanium Bolts
- Brembo EVO Monoblock Factory-Spec calipers
- Factory carbon Yamaha Racing rear hugger
- THM Link arms - Replica Factory ones.
- AMB Transponder with mil-spec quick disconnect
- And lots more!
Bike same spec as WSBK apart from swingarm and clutch, and ECU - ECU spec is equally capable.
- Domino Throttle cable sets
- Tyre warmers + Controls
- Spare sprockets + Sprocket carriers x3
- New Radiator Guards
- Motec dash protector – Billet inc button - new
- All paddock stands front/rear/peg/yoke/ chassis
- Spare grips - new
- Head cups – different angles/offsets – Blue - new
- Offset stem spindle - new
- Front spindle - new
- Full set of side panels, seat unit, belly pan, tank cover - new
- Fuel tank cap
- 2 NEW Speed sensors - new
- THM Battery jump pack starter
- Clutch Boss - new
- Chassis Bolts - new
- Tank Screw cap tool
- YP Aliant battery spare
- Front /rear wheel collars Black - new
- Front carbon front fender mount brackets - new
- Radiator bracket - new
- Oil cooler bracket - new
- Hose kit NEW
- Aliante battery charger
- THM Ride height tool
- Spare captive nut for rear spindle - new
- 3 Oil cooler take off unions - new
- Tank grip pads - new
- Rear swingarm adjuster – caliper mount - new
Price as described - $50,000
Additional spares available but not included include a brand new MB Motorsports Radiator/Oil Set, complete 2D boxes set, various sensors, spare carbon subframe box, spare factory Akrapovic headers, upper triple clamps and more.
Price with all spares - $55,000
We are willing to discount for removal of the shock, exhaust or brakes.
$55,000 is a pretty huge chunk of change for most of us to part with, but considering the parts and prep that have gone into it, that price seems, dare I say it: almost reasonable. Buy it and display it, buy it and track it, buy it and race it, or just buy it to drool all of the exotic, race-spec parts, this is a rare opportunity to own a genuine superbike with all of the trimmings. You could even swap the race-spec parts over to your street-legal R1 to create a terrifyingly trick backroad weapon...