Update 7.19.2016: No longer being offered. -dc
Built from 1991-2007 the Aprilia RS 250 is a rare sight, except on RSBFS - but an RSV or RSW - the factory race machines are exponentially more exotic. Over its long run the model has been ridden to championships by Moto GP stars such as Max Biaggi, Valentino Rossi, Marco Melandri, and Jorge Lorenzo. A factory test mule, the 2001 RSW 250 offered here has been treated to a lot of factory upgrades, and would make a great start to a race effort.
Though power isn't claimed for the 249 cc 90-degree two-stroke twin, it should be around 90 hp at 12,000 rpm. Aluminum-framed but with carbon fiber bodywork ( including seat console ), swingarm and wheels, with fuel this bike should weigh less than 300 lbs. Ohlins and Brembo equipped front and rear. Expansion chambers are titanium.
Brought over from an Italian shop that had done a pristine restoration, this RSW 250 has turned only 200 miles since. A nice collection of spares is included, including a rare set of carbon-carbon brakes. The owner attempts list everything in the eBay auction:
- Complete ATR carbon fibre bodywork including tank, self supporting seat unit
- Carbon fiber swingarm that an A Kit part typically only available to factory teams
- Carbon fiber wheels that were designed by Aprilia (and ATR) but manufactured by Ferrari (these wheels are effectively irreplaceable so the bike also has a set of magnesium Marchesinis if you actually want to ride it)
- Brembo monobloc calipers
- Ohlins front and rear suspension (and steering damper)
- Full data acquisition with all sensors active (e.g., suspension travel, EGT, etc)
- Titanium expansion chambers with DLR end cans
- Motor has various magnesium A Kit parts (water covers, etc)
- Motor was built about 200 miles ago with fresh pistons less than 20 miles ago and transmission is completely fresh
- It is set up to run on VP Q16
- 520 chain and sprocket conversion to avoid snapping chains (which was a frequent issue with the lightweight racing chain) but lightweight factory chain and sprockets includes along with a small selection of 520 sprockets
- Carbon fiber battery (but like the wheels effectively irreplaceable so aluminum version also included)
- Battery charger included
- Spare titanium expansion chambers (not really spare but if you know anything about these bikes you already know that there were a litany of expansion chamber types that could be used to vary the power delivery)
- Spare pistons and gaskets
Whether you were an up-and-coming rider or a skilled club racer, finding a bike like this could make a career. Appearing ready to load in the trailer and head south, this RSW 250 looks prepared for competition and has adequate spares to at least get rolling. Details and contact information can be found on the eBay auction or at the Racing Bikes For Sale facebook page.